Wednesday, March 28, 2012

1. "Writing Experiences"

I've always thought of writing as among the more straightforward means of recorded communication.  I do seem to think in words for the most part, so picking amongst those words and simply throwing them, in written form, at whoever chooses to make themselves my audience is a relatively effective and predictable way to put those thought-words and their conceptual connotations into my audience's considerations.  While I'm very interested in stepping past the constrictions of a coded language as an artistic or communicative medium, it has come in handy for the purposes of structuring my thoughts in order to more successfully capture them through other more novel and dynamic media.  I tend to take part in some degree of organizational writing exercise before every more final artistic effort regardless of media.
My majors here at Ohio university are philosophy and psychology.  Being a philosophy major has put me through several classes where I had to write quite a bit.  Writing philosophically requires much attention to the logical implications of everything said.  I took a class last spring in the philosophy of language which addressed many issues in linguistic communication which lead to confusion.  It seems like a lot of disagreement stems from confusions in language and I've never been much of a fan of disagreement.  I don't really think that there is any reason for most discussions to become arguments.  People have a lot to learn from each-others viewpoints. Logically structured writing is a great way for people to get their viewpoints out there so that others can clearly understand what about their opinions are in conflict.  As it were, writing with that degree of analytical attention to the logical connotations of everything I say has been great practice for clearly presenting my ideas in more subjective forms of writing.  Writing for this class should be a good opportunity to practice writing in some slightly different styles than the very concise and analytically structured style that I've come closer to adopting for my philosophical writings.

No comments:

Post a Comment