Friday, April 20, 2012

Reflection essay: Wikipedia is alive


Wikipedia has always been there for me.  Every well developed Wikipedia page I’ve encountered, even those for topics in which I consider myself fairly well versed, has always had at least some tidbit of relevant information of which I had been unawares prior to my reading the page.  The information is so various because there are so many contributors with so many different backgrounds.  Everyone has a different approach to prioritizing relevance and accordingly what ends up on Wikipedia is whatever the contributors have enough patience to find sources for and write about.  In this sense anyone can contribute as much or as little as they want to.  What we’ve ended up with is a massive collection of sources in most imaginable fields all summarized into concise and pleasantly readable format.  In my opinion it’s pretty enthralling literature.  At the very least, if it isn’t internally consistent, syntactically correct, and understandable then the army of frustrated wikipedians will plow though it with edits until it meets the community standard.  While I’ve learned a great deal from Wikipedia, I had never been fully able bring myself to work through the editing process.  The idea has always appealed to me, but I never before felt quite like I had nearly enough authority in any given subject.  Just knowing that people around the world would critically assess my writing and make it into something different was intimidating.  When I received the assignment I felt rather apprehensive about how it would go.  It was just a little bit too close to home.  I have an awful lot of expectations from Wikipedia articles that I’m sure others also have and I couldn’t help but worry that I not might find anything true-seeming enough for me to comfortably post it on a website that prides itself of acceptable truth-likeness.

The information on Wikipedia is rarely if ever exhaustive and it’s always at least somewhat dubious.  Members of academic institutions often cite these as reasons to ignore Wikipedia’s use as a source of information.  These dismissive claims about Wikipedia’s value require the unfounded assumption that academic works don’t have these very same faults.  To be fair however, Wikipedia, with its talk of verifiable information, is guilty of the very same presumptuousness.  I gave up on epistemological realism a long time ago.  So far as I am concerned all knowledge is purely hypothetical.  The closest thing to truth we have access to is logical consistency between the inherently fallible beliefs that we choose to assume.  No matter what I’m reading, watching, or listening to, I will not only call that information into doubt, but also any knowledge that I previously assumed which would contradict my new prospective learnings into doubt.  We’ve all got a sort of working explanation for the world around us based on our judgments about the empirical data we’re presented with.  As the present unrolls and new empirical data slips into our system we’re left to process it in contrast to our knowledge and make decisions about which parts of both we can reasonably hold on to.  In most of my writing I’m able to make it very clear that what I’m saying is counterfactual and I invite everyone reading my work to question my work and get back to me on their concerns.  Wikipedia has people write in a very definitive so called “neutral voice” which is a concept that upon beginning the assignment I found a little overwhelming.  I don’t trust my knowledge enough to just openly tell people to believe it.  I am uncomfortable with people taking my writing or anyone else's without that proverbially prescribed grain of salt.

Our minds are constantly revising their content, physically building connections between related items, and keeping track of the things it’s decided against believing and why.  It’s our learning process, but if you think about it Wikipedia learns the same way.  It’s constantly presented with differing viewpoints that people will read and choose to either accept or deny.  If anyone’s denial of a claim is normative enough to serve as exigence, then they will take the necessary steps to revise the inconsistency.  This much is true in the process of discourse as Grant-Davie’s essay, “Rhetorical Situations and their Constituents”, describes it.  The process works just a little differently on Wikipedia.  While people are still motivated by exigence to engage in discourse, the discourse itself doesn’t take the same form as typical academic writing where an individual or organization of people will author a work with the interest of motivating others to adopt their proposed perspective, but rather the authors and the swayable audience become the very same entity.  Everything on Wikipedia is written as though it were true, but this is ok in this situation because we are all allowed the opportunity to change it to be more consistent with our own working conception.  Wikipedia behaves like the human mind so much because all it is, is a collection of human minds taking turns making decisions for it.  Wikipedia is the collective unconscious.  In this sense it takes on a much different form than typical academic writing.  Instead of being a document of motivation, it is a document of consensus.  Before Wikipedia existed if we wanted access to informational consensus we had to study a cross section of the world’s endless supply of documents designed to pull the reader over to a shared understanding.  Once we had read enough of these works that we could be considered an academic authority and our writings would begin to carry a smidge of clout in the academic community.

Becoming an academic authority takes a long time though, and even they are affected by human bias and personal agendas.  Wikipedian text is constantly changing and anything especially opinionated will be eventually removed or put into neutral voice if enough people read it.  If an article is strikingly inadequate then that inadequacy will ideally serve as exigence for many and the article’s weakest bits will be covered up with fresh research.  People don’t need to write motivationally to have an impact on the collective unconscious anymore because now there is a single place where all information is welcome and anyone can directly change it.  When I received the assignments however, I was put into an interesting position.  I had to actively search for exigence.  After a good deal of flipping through the pages in line with my own interests I ended up only learning more about my own interests. There were certainly gaps and things I’d gladly change, but nothing for which I could imagine writings up more than a couple sentences in neutral voice.  Neutral voice is Stressful for me.  As it were I didn’t finish the assignment until the Wednesday after its due date because I simply couldn’t find anything I was certain enough to write about definitively without those little statements inviting people to doubt my statements.  It was strange. I had never had a problem with deadlines before, but for some strange reason I just couldn’t get myself to commit to any statement.  I was lost in a discourse community that I didn’t feel worthy to contribute to.  I already have a great doubt in my own epistemology, I have even less trust in external sources because there are so many things that can influence a writer and all I can do is guess the motivation behind a document.  Taking the information at face value is almost universally undependable and I just wanted to put disclaimers by every statement of fact.  Eventually I was able to get convince myself that that doubt is built in to the very nature of Wikipedia, and after making absolute sure that my text was in line with my sources I submitted it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment